Thursday, July 19, 2007

In Memory of my daddy


This is in memory of my dad. I am a day early but the rest of the week is going to be really busy. I read a post recently and she was describing her life and relationship with her daddy. And the fact that at 40 years old she was still introduced as his baby. It could have been my story. I am the youngest of 3 children, and am separated by 9 and 11 years from my siblings. I was always daddy's baby girl. On July 20th he would have been 75 years old. I was blessed to have had a very close relationship to him. After he was diagnosed with cancer he came to live with us, and I took care of him for the last 4 months of his life. He only lived about 4 1/2 months from the time we found out.
He was my hero, my inspiration, my greatest supporter, my everything. He was a retired Deputy with the Polk County Sheriffs Office and was in law enforcement all of my life either part time or full time. He loved to fish and cook and loved his family. I recall a conversation we had a few weeks before he became sick, I think he knew something was going on but not sure what. I had taken him to the grocery store and it happened to be my birthday I will never forget it. When we got back to his house I did some dishes, and picked up. He asked me to sit down out side with him and talk. Over the years we have done a lot of talking. But he sat there and told me " you know I am not ready to go any where yet, but when the time comes I don't want you to be sad. I want to you to think of it like I am on a long fishing trip with my 2 brothers" I think that is part of what has helped me make it through the past 3 years. I use to think that when he died I would never survive it. But I have a precious little boy/young man that thinks the sun rose and set on his papa. And he helps me remember the good times. That and the fact that I was there when he needed me, and I was there to hold his hand as he took his last breath and that the last words that he spoke were "I love you baby"
Daddy I love you and miss you.
Merle J Bullard Sr
July 20, 1932 - May 15, 2004

9 comments:

Andi said...

What a loving tribute to your Dad. I too was a Daddy's girl!

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Very sweet tribute to your dad. :)

The thrift stores I have been to are the Helping Hands of Polk County, its the one that is 50% off. They are on Combee Rd. And the Missing Children's thrift is on 98 N. I can get you the addresses if you need them. The antique store we went to is Second Hand Rose, also on Combee Rd. Some of their prices are high to me, but they do have some good prices and a lot of great stuff!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Bren, thanks for stopping by my blog. What a sweet post about your dad & I'm so sorry you lost him. I'm so blessed to be able to celebrate my dad's 80th birthday this weekend.

It's so nice to meet you & I'm glad you were inspired by the horse farm pics. Alabama really has some beautiful scenery. So glad you stopped by & hope you will do that often.

Rhoda
Southern Hospitality

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

You're welcome! I hadnt seen your second comment. I cant think of any others offhand that are in south Lakeland. I know the Salvation Army thrift is also on S. Florida.

Amanda said...

What a great tribute to Uncle Merle. Him and Daddy have been on a few fishing trips I am sure for the past 3 years, Merle and Earl still fighting and Daddy just shaking his head, saying I ain't gonna fish with you two if you can't get along. I can oly imagine the stories we would here. I love them so much and miss them dearly.

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

You're welcome! Glad you found something!

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

What a great tribute to your Dear Dad!

Gretchen said...

What a great memorial to your father.

Cindy said...

What a lovely post. My dad still refers to me as his baby too. My sister is 8 years older and my brother is 13 years older than me so I have a lot in common with you!